An interesting walk is the one to Fiumelatte (a hamlet of Varenna) whose group of houses, built around the church, are perched at the foot of the steep slopes of Mount Fopp, m. 1033, crowned by the remains of the castle of Vezio.

Its name comes from the shortest river of Italy and probably of the whole world, just 250 meters of white and foamy water from the source to the mouth.
Another peculiar feature is its regular intermittence. The river, in fact, appears around March, 25th (Annunciation and Feast of the hamlet) and continues to flow till October, 7th (Feast of the Madonna of the Rosary, patron of Varenna). For this reason it is also called the “River of the two Madonnas”.

Historical curiosity

Fiumelatte had already been mentioned as 'Fiumelaccio' in the Atlantic Code of Leonardo da Vinci, who was intrigued by this phenomenon.
Today they think that such an intermittence may be due to the overflow of the underground cavity of Moncodeno (Grignone) that so far nobody has still managed to achieve. 

The hamlet of Vezio is a small village perched above Lake Lecco that, despite the passing of the years, has managed to preserve its old features, especially in the architecture of its stone houses.

In origin it was probably an Etruscan settlement whose inhabitants, due to the migrations of the people from beyond the Alps, were forced to move to less hospitable areas such as the pre-alpine valleys.

To oppose the raids that followed and facilitate the flow of armies and supplies, the Romans built a fortification that would facilitate the control of the banks of the lake below, on whose headland had meanwhile risen Varenna, docking point of the commercial and military traffic in the area.

The central tower, twenty meters high, had functions of sighting and warning, and within the fortress walls there were dwellings and warehouses whose foundations are still visible today.

The discovery of weapons and human remains from various eras and origins testify that around the tower bloody and fierce battles were fought.

When in 1244 Varenna was destroyed for the first time by the Como inhabitants they had rebelled to, the population took refuge in the castle, that due to its location was impregnable. In it, the fugitives restored their minds and strength to rebel again, four years later. On this occasion Varenna was put on fire, but the castle withstood.

Vezio experienced the Lordships Visconti and Torriani, was dominated by the French and Spaniards, suffered the decrees of the Lords of Venice and Bergamo. With Varenna it became a bishop feud until it passed in 1778 to the Serbelloni family, who kept possession of the tower until the 19th century.

The castle was destroyed as a result of various wars and today it is surrounded by thick walls in medieval style.

You may reach the tower peak by a stone staircase after crossing a drawbridge. From there, the 360-degree view of Lake Como is really beyond comparison. The castle is embedded in a century-old olive grove, where it is possible to meet the castle falconer who will be happy to show you his birds of prey: owls, buzzards, hawks and others. At certain times you can also attend spectacular flight performances.

Although private ownership, the Vezio Castle is open to the public all year round. usually from April to October daily from 10am to sunset and in the winter months from 10am to sunset only on Saturdays and Sundays.

The management of the Castle is entrusted to the “Associazione Turistica Castello di Vezio”: a non-profit organization that is responsible for its maintenance and promotes various events.

Our Hotel Restaurant is located at the foot of the Grigna and reprents a good starting point for many excursions.

Our beautiful mountains offer trekking opportunities at different difficulty levels: climbing, via ferrata, free climbing, sometimes with very technical and challenging tracks.

This group of mountains, entirely made of dolomite rock, rises in the southwest of the Lombard Alps.

Position

The group of Grigne is bordered at the west from the eastern shore of Lake Como, that is crossed from the speedway SS36 from Lecco to Bellano and from the railway line Lecco-Sondrio, and on all other sides by the provincial road of Valsassina.

The Group comprises: the Southern Grigna or Grignetta - mt. 2184; the Northern Grigna or Grignone - mt. 2409; Mount Pilastro - mt. 1823; Mount Pizzi di Parlasco - mt. 1511.

Mountain huts

Located on the coastal Grignetta descending to Mandello, we point out the Rosalba Hut - mt. 1730, in a very panoramic position.

The Elisa Hut - mt. 1515, an excellent starting point for climbings to Sasso Sasso Cavallo and Sasso dei Carbonari, as well as for climbings to Grignone with interesting crossings and on its summit, in a spectacular position at 2410 mt. height, the Brioschi Hut, from where you can enjoy breathtaking views.

Cautions

When covered with snow, all the trails, especially if higher than 1000-1200 mt, can completely change their properties and cause great difficulties.
Utmost caution is therefore recommended before venturing along snowy paths or slopes especially with snowfall in progress, that could change in a very short time the danger of a path.
Some mountaineering experience and great caution are essential during excursions, especially in the case of slippery rocks due to rain.

Bellagio is the most popular resort of Lake Como, also known as "the pearl of the lake".

A jewel of nature and architecture surrounded by fortifications, characterized by the typical soft colors of its houses leaning against each other and the narrow, winding lanes that lead to harmonious squares.

Along the lake you will find luxurious hotels and elegant shops with jewels, clothes and very precious silks.

Along the street that crosses the village you can admire the beauty of the ancient village, walking down towards the lake you’ll find the beautiful square and the pier for boats, hydrofoils and ferries for the car carriage between the two opposite banks of the lake.

Bellagio is an excellent starting point for various tours and excursions on foot, by car and by boat.

Basilica of San Giacomo

It is located in the upper part of the city near the tower, the only remains of some importance of the former defense system.

It was built between 1125 and 1150, enlarged in the Baroque period and recently renovated. The interior, rich in art, contains two paintings from the 15th century, several Romanesque sculptures and several paintings from the late 500 and 600, such as the “Jesus’ Deposition into the tomb”, attributed to Perugino, that decorates the left aisle of the chapel and a" Madonna delle Grazie "in the right aisle.

Other pieces of remarkable beauty and importance are the magnificent wooden, carved and gilded altar from the 700, a Romanesque crucifix and a “Christ laid into the tomb” from the 600, that is carried in procession every Good Friday.

Church of San Giovanni Battista in the hamlet of San Giovanni

It is the oldest church in Bellagio. In the second half of the 18th century some renovation works were carried out on the building, that had been built at least two centuries before. Inside there is an altarpiece depicting a "Risen Christ" by Gaudenzio Ferrari.